Thursday, August 19, 2010

Toby the Conqueror

8/19/10 Toby the Conqueror

Here's more evidence for my case that gender roles are not merely taught by culture (of course that's a big part of it, but you have to admit that there's something different in the makeup of boys and girls):

When they were eighteen months old and encountered a baby doll, each of my three girls instinctively picked it up, cuddled it, and at least attempted to nurture that baby. Toby will occasionally do this, mimicking his sisters, but he clearly gets much more satisfaction out of carrying it to the top of the stairs, spiking it like a football, and watching it tumble head-over-heels, slinky-style, all the way down the stairs. While his sisters scream in horror, he gives a satisfied little "he-he," as if he has just conquered an evil foe. I'm sure this is an act of love--he's saving his sisters from all that that vile fiend had planned to do to them, if only his sisters saw it that way.


Just a Spoonful of Sugar Helps You Manage Your Little Sister

Hannah carefully constructed a "skyscraper" from waffle-blocks this morning. Distraught as she was when Emma smashed it with a soccer ball, she remembered what she'd learned from the "clean-up song": kids will often respond better if you sing your instructions to them. Singing sweetly to the tune of "Where is Thumbkin" she taught Emma:

No more damage
No more damage
That's not good
That's not good
Don't break my skyscraper
Don't break my skyscraper
NO MORE DAMAGE!
No more damage

The message was well-received, and there are now myriad Fisher Price Little People celebrating the reconstruction of their high-rise complex at a "No more damage" party. If only I responded that calmly when offended.


Be Careful What Rules You Make

At lunch Hannah asks me, "Have you ever tried cheese dipped in Ketchup?" "Umm...no," I reply. "Why not?" Hannah chirps back. "Because it sounds gross," I say. "Well, you can't say you don't like it until you've tried it," Hannah smiles. Instantly I know I'm caught with my own rule, so I go for the only trick that can save me: a quick change of subject. Fortunately Hannah is flighty enough to take the bait. Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment