Friday, November 18, 2011

Right-Side Down

This morning the OB says to me, "So the ultrasound shows that the baby's breech?"

"No," I reply, "actually, that's just what the nurse-midwife thought when she felt him."

The OB wrinkles her forehead and says, "Well, why didn't she scan you?" (How the heck should I know?) "Let's go scan you now, just to be sure we're not wasting our breath." (Good idea!)

And the ultrasound clearly showed that baby was actually...head down! I will never know if he was breech on Wednesday or not. Perhaps he was and he decided to turn because I laid upside down on an ironing board, or perhaps he turned in response to the prayers offered, or perhaps he was always head-down and I just need to be thankful that I didn't turn him breech with all the antics yesterday. Whatever way it is, I am happy.

In defense the midwife, and myself, who had trouble telling the baby's position for sure: the placenta is anterior, meaning it is attached to the front wall of the uterus. This makes it much harder to feel the baby's position since you're feeling through several extra inches of placenta. An anterior placenta also would have disqualified me for an ECV (doctor turning the baby head-down) since the danger of causing the placenta to detach would be too high. So it's a very good thing he is head down!

Once again I am ready to go into labor NOW, before he does flip breech or anymore drama enters my life. Plus, it's the weekend and Matt's on his way home. Time to get this show on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment