Monday, September 6, 2010

Bananas on the Menu

Here are a few highlights from our labor day:

I took Hannah, Emma, and Toby with me to the grocery store to pick up a few things for a family cookout. In the check-out Hannah decided to march around in circles whooping in various tones of silly and making ridiculous faces at innocent passers-by. Emma, of course, followed Hannah exactly, whooping and making even more ridiculous faces, because it's always more difficult to imitate a ridiculous face than to come up with your own. Toby was very much amused and bounced up and down excitedly in the confines of the shopping cart seat, laughing. The man checking me out paid little attention, but when finished asked, "What? No bananas for the monkeys?"

After an afternoon of family festivities, Emma was feeling quite drowsy at dinner. She nodded off while sitting in her chair. When I commented that Toby had found himself a Pepsi in the garage earlier, but I had taken it away because he really didn't need any caffeine; Emma opened her eyes, laughed, then dropped back off to sleep and began snoring.

By 7:15pm I had decided it was Toby's bedtime, less because he was actually tired and more because I needed him to be in his bed. Around 7:45 Matt was leading the girls downstairs to bed when, through the floorboards, I heard Toby begin laughing uproariously. Matt reported that  he found Toby lying on his back in the crib with both feet in the air, tickling his feet saying, "Tickle, tickle, tickle, tickle, ahahahahaaaaa!" He truly was tickled with himself, and the fun lasted through the rest of bedtime.

Hey, way to turn lemons into lemonade, Little Buddy. No one can stop you from enjoying your evening. They can lock you in your crib, but they can't keep you from tickling  your toes. He apparently wore himself out because one cup of soy milk later he was dead asleep. You know, the next time I find myself lying awake at night, maybe I'll try tickling my toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment