Friday, October 5, 2012

The Floodgates

Tuesday was a rough day for me. I was more tired and grumpy than usual. Hannah had begun to have severe stomach aches whenever she ate any amount of corn, and the idea of having to remove corn from a diet that is already gluten, dairy, and dye-free seemed so overwhelming to me. Corn is possibly the only ingredient in the American diet that is more pervasive than wheat. In my cupboard I found "cornstarch" or "corn-syrup" on the labels of most of my favorite gf foods.
 
My wrists have been burning lately (probably carpel-tunnel syndrome) from toting a heavy Elijah around on my hip and from spending hours chopping potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and other veggies for meal after meal. I took a break from the chopping Tuesday evening, sat down at my computer, and typed the following facebook post:
 
 
Dear Santa (and his affiliates),

For Christmas I want a great big rice cooker, a great big food processor, a huge crock-pot, and a food dehydrator. Maybe then I will be able to feed my kids without spending 10 hours a day in the kitchen--might even be able to lower it to 8 hours a day.

Gratefully,

A mom whose feet are tired of standing by the stove, whose wrists can't take chopping any more potatoes by hand, and whose children might be fooled into believing that dehydrated fruits and veggies are actually a new snack


It was a lighthearted post, meant mainly as a way for me to vent my frustration. I used larger-than-life language because it seemed to fit how much the situation felt out of my hands. I felt inadequate to feed my family all of the from-scratch meals they would need without an industrial-sized kitchen at my fingertips, something that was obviously far beyond my reach. The post was my way of saying, "I don't think I can do this."

Three days later I am still overwhelmed by the completely unexpected response I received. My friends opened their cupboards and their pocketbooks and generously poured out their aid and encouragement on me. In the last three days my kitchen has been donated: a great big rice cooker, a great big food processor, two huge crock-pots, a food dehydrator, a food steamer, and a pressure cooker.

What is more overwhelming to me than the generosity of my friends, is the tender-hearted care of my father in heaven that is evident in this small miracle. He saw my need and he provided, even though I felt more like venting about my inadequacies than praying for his provision.

Over these past three days I have heard in my mind the words of familiar bible verses, reminding me of truths I am always tempted to forget. And though each of these passages is clearly set in a very different context than my own, the truths they convey remain wholly applicable to my life: God sees his childrens' needs, has unlimited resources to meet them, and delights in providing abundantly to those who trust him, sometimes even to those who choose to complain instead of trusting. I am reminded again that complaining is the same as accusing God of being inadequate to meet my needs. Tonight I am humbled, my faith is renewed, and my spirit refreshed--a priceless gift from God though Christ's body to me.

I have no need of a bull from your stall
   or of goats from your pens,
10 for every animal of the forest is mine,
    and the cattle on a thousand hills.
11 I know every bird in the mountains,
    and the insects in the fields are mine.
12 If I were hungry I would not tell you,
    for the world is mine, and all that is in it.

Psalm 50:9-12

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.
Malachi 3:9-11

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:12-14


I have received full payment and have more than enough. I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.
Philippians 4:18-20

1 comment:

  1. Oh to see the tangible love of our Heavenly Father .... what a blessing!


    ReplyDelete