Saturday, January 28, 2012

An Eye for an Eye

"Is that a fight upstairs?" Matt called to me as I cleared the lunch dishes today.

"I'll go check," Naomi volunteered, running up the stairs. She returned a moment later to report, "Toby hit Emma."

I called the acused in for questioning and he didn't deny his guilt, so I probed further, "And why did you hit her, Toby?"

"Because she hit me," he replied.

"Well, why did she hit you?"

"Because I was pushing her."

"And why were you pushing her?" I pressed growing more confused.

"Because she hit me."

Fearing we were going in circles I gave up on the interrogation and simply doled out the consequences for hitting--no matter the cause. I doubt either of them remembers what started the fight anyway. The problem with "An eye for an eye" is that no child would make it to adulthood without being blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment