Sunday, July 10, 2011

Toby Wins the Word Battle

Yesterday Toby was shadowing my every move as I cooked dinner, as he always does. I turned my back for a minute, and he cautiously picked up a knife from the table. Emma spied this from across the room and yelled, "No! Goby! No ay!" (No Toby, no knife). I turned to Toby and scowled at him with a "put that down right now" look.

Toby was disgusted with Emma and fired angrily back at her, "Go away, Emma. Why don't you go play with toys!"

I stood a moment processing what he had just said, but it didn't take me long to figure out where he'd learned that language. I think I've used those same words to him when he was driving me nuts before. His amazing ability to remember phrases and idioms and use them correctly with appropriate intonation at the age of 2 years, 4 months leaves me astounded every time. It might be time for me to start watching what I say to him.

Tonight Toby dragged a bag of toys into my office and announced, "I've got myself and my bag!" Yourself is all you're ever going to need, Little Buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment