Saturday, May 7, 2011

February Buds, Magnolia May

Shortly after we moved into this house I was intrigued by the ice-coated buds on the tree outside my kitchen window. I wondered what kind of tree would put out such large buds in February and how they could survive that coating of ice for so long.
 I thought of the enormous flowers of the magnolia tree and wondered if the buds were so large that they had to start growing in the middle of the winter.
 Just over a week ago I saw that my theory was correct. The now giant buds began cracking open their furry winter coats and emerging into the late April showers.
 Then came May, and some of the most beautiful views I've ever seen while rinsing dirty dishes.



Maybe our growth in the wintry times of life make our blossoms that much more beautiful come spring.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, magnolias are pretty awesome. Dogwoods are one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete